It’s spring, its summer….whatever the season it’s definitely hot outside, which means smoothie time! Avocado Pineapple Green Smoothie time to be exact!
I have a favorite smoothie that I get every time I go to my favorite smoothie place. You know, the whole “I’m going to try something new this time” only to realize that you specifically went there for one reason and that is for the exact same one as you always get because you were already drooling thinking about how yummy it is.
I don’t love for my smoothies to be super sweet (I know, weirdo right here), so I always ask for half the amount of sugar.
Well, it wasn’t until recently when they accidentally put in all the sugar and WOWSA…to my surprise, I could not believe how sweet it was! It was so sweet that it made me do some digging only to find out that my favorite smoothie normally contains 87g of sugar!! 87!! 😱😱😱 Which means, even at half of the added sugar, I was still getting a ton! I was in shock. I’m not quite sure exactly what I was expecting, but it definitely was a wake up call to show me that my so-called “healthy” smoothie was no better than indulging into a large piece of chocolate cake. 😒
When I told Kate about it, she did remind me that some of the sugar is naturally occurring. She also told me that 87 grams, if you were to measure it out, would be equivalent to almost 22 teaspoons! Nobody needs that much sugar in one sitting- let alone one beverage! I thought there must be a way to decrease the amount sugar. So, from there I set out on a mission (mission to my kitchen) to recreate my favorite smoothie recipe, but to actually make it healthy.
It was recently my husband’s birthday and since presents get harder and harder every year, I decided to go with the more practical gift. We had been in desperate need of a new handheld blender that actually blended, and with the scorching hot summer upon us, I figured that would be something that he (okay, okay, WE) would benefit from.
So, like any kid that gets a new toy, we tested it out…a lot. And this avocado pineapple green smoothie got made…a lot. Totally don’t see any problems with that though. I mean, it was breakfast one day, a random snack another and then even dessert one night. I mean, you can’t really argue with something that takes 5 minutes to whip together, is crazy satisfying, plus super healthy!
I hope this smoothie finds its way into your summer drink collection, because I know its definitely on weekly rotation in this house. Change it up too – add in some frozen strawberries and/or blueberries one day, in my opinion you can’t go wrong with blending any and/or all fruits together. Just as long as you don’t mind the funny colors your smoothie may turn out. 😉
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple chunks (frozen is better!)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I used Silk)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup ice
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh pineapple and coconut flakes.
- Sometimes I add in a tbsp or two of my favorite vanilla protein powder in order to fill me up a little more!
- Pineapple can be really acidic to some people, which in that case use only 1/2 the amount of pineapple and add in another 1/2 frozen banana for sweetness.
- When your bananas are starting to brown, peel them and throw them in a ziploc in the freezer. Same goes for the pineapple if you have too much to eat at once. They'll both hold in the freezer for a long time and will be ready for your next smoothie!
- Calories: 195, Protein: 2.5 g, Fat: 9 g, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 19 g, Sodium: 92 mg, Saturated Fat: 1.5 g