This black bean soup recipe is simple, tasty and a great way to add a little bit of spice to any Mexican feast! 🌮🌯
Whew! After 7 years at my last job, I forgot how challenging it can be to learn a new job. 😳 I am throwing myself into it 100% at this point, which leaves 0% for cooking, cleaning, socializing, and all that…at least during the work week! My new position is with the same company, so not totally foreign, but there are just so many new processes, procedures, and relationships to learn and navigate. I’m certainly thrilled to have a new endeavor, but not so thrilled about spending time on my other responsibilities.
While this blog has always been about recipes that are fairly simple, those types of recipes are more important to me now than they have ever been! It’s also been an extra cold January, so soup has been on the menu quite a bit. This black bean soup hits both those points. It is easy to make, super satisfying, nice and warm for chilly nights, and is pretty healthy too!
You can enjoy this black bean soup as an entree, but I like it most as a side. It pairs perfectly with our Quick Chicken Quesadillas. You get two cups total out of the recipe, and that amount can easily provide four, side-sized servings. I use toppings for this soup that can be used with the quesadillas- cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes, more cilantro (always!), and sour cream. It’s great with tortilla chips, too.
Anyway, wish me luck balancing my new role and continuing to feed myself and my family! 😜
- 1 tsp oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/2 tsp minced or chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes with green chilis (I use Rotel)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 15 oz can reduced sodium black beans
- Add oil, garlic, and onion to a pot. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 mins or until tender and fragrant.
- To the same pot, add the following ingredients: 1/2 cup vegetable broth, tomatoes with green chilis, ground cumin, salt, and 1 cup black beans with liquid from can. Stir to combine.
- Using a food processor or small blender, puree the remaining black beans and liquid with 1/4 cup vegetable broth. Add to pot and stir to combine.
- Bring all ingredients to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- This recipe produces about 2 cups of soup and will serve 2-4, depending on whether or not you are using it as a main course or as a side.
- Calories: 101, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 1.5 g, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Fiber: 6.5 g, Sugar: 1 g, Sodium: 440 mg, Saturated Fat: 0 g