This Chicken Taco Stew is a great way to enjoy your favorite chicken tacos in a bowl served with your favorite toppings like sour cream, avocado, cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips!
The holidays and traveling are over, I’m back to work, it’s the new year, its freaking cold outside, and we just put our baby into daycare. It’s just an all around crazy busy emotional rollercoaster that everyone keeps telling me will get easier as time goes on. Boy do I hope so. Have I had the energy to cook? Nope. I’ve officially cooked once this year so far. 😳 Yep, sadly once. And it’s been this chicken taco stew. So, good thing its tasty because I’m pretty sure we’ve eaten this more times than I can count on one hand now in the past week. #mybad
Pretty sure it’s just going to take some time to get back into the groove, but you know what, that’s fine by me. I’m not going to stress about it (because you know, all the stressing happened last week so I got it out of my system). It’s a new year, and it’s time to turn into that ‘Super Mom’ mode where things are going to go at lightning speed, might be a bit sloppy at times, but at least going to get done somehow so I can plop myself down to relax on the couch at night in front of our new fireplace (yessss!) with a glass of wine and say to myself…holy cow how did I just make all that happen!? All to just go to bed, wake up and repeat it the next day. But you know what? I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world. 😉 I’m so thankful for every little bit of chaos in my life right now, even if it does mean that we have to eat chicken taco stew three nights a week. ☺️
This chicken taco stew was literally a dish I came up with by looking in my cabinets and fridge, throwing things together in the crock pot and crossing my fingers that it would come out good and we wouldn’t be ordering a last minute pizza for dinner. And guess what?! We didn’t have to order pizza! 🙌🏼 I mean, because who doesn’t like comfort food, and who doesn’t like tacos, right? And who doesn’t like to come home to them already cooked and ready to eat? This version is nice and warm and cozy, and great with all your favorite toppings just like you would on regular tacos, but just in a different form. Sprinkle it with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, fresh cilantro and no need for a spoon – just eat it with tortilla chips – Mm mm! 🌮🌮
Stay warm! ❤️ Lauren
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added (fire-roasted would be good too!)
- 14.5 oz can black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can sweet corn, drained
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 7 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped (or 1 small yellow onion)
- 1/4 cup broth or water (should this be chicken broth)?
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- Add all ingredients to crock pot.
- Stir gently to combine everything.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until chicken falls apart when poked with fork.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Turn off crock pot (or put on warm setting) and stir in cream cheese until mixed well.
- Return chicken to crock pot and gently mix together.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving in order for it to thicken slightly.
- Serve plain or with your favorite toppings! (Cilantro and tortilla chips are my fav!)
- Not only is this great to come home to for dinner, this stew is great for meal prepping and can be frozen into portions so you can just put it in the fridge in the morning, and be ready to heat it when you get home from work!
- Calories: 233, Protein: 25 g, Fat: 6 g, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugar: 67 g, Sodium: 700 mg, Saturated Fat: 2 g