I’m always a little sad after the Christmas season ends. Time to un-deck the halls, go back to work, back to more responsibility. The house is quieter, a little bit emptier. I came home from visiting family and embraced the quiet by getting to work in the kitchen. You could tell I was craving a little comfort, so comfort recipes galore coming your way over the next few posts! Isn’t comfort food the best? It can certainly cure my blues!
It’s 49 degrees outside as I write this, which is cold enough to justify a nice hearty dinner and a glass of red wine. Gotta love nights like this – comfy PJs, handsome husband, fluffy cat, new TV show to binge on, and Chipotle Turkey Chili! Nights like this remind you that its ok that its not the holidays, because the wonderful things in life are still around (just without the glitter)!
This chili is fantastic for a few reasons: 1. You can make it as spicy (or not spicy) as you want by playing with the amount of chipotle peppers you use. 2. Your husband (who claims to dislike ground turkey) will not notice it is turkey. 3. You get to use some of the quinoa sitting in your pantry! 4. It cooks by itself in a crock pot all day, with only a bit of attention from the chef. 5. Last but not least, we have a pretty tasty cornbread recipe coming up soon that pairs perfectly with the chipotle turkey chili 🙂
Hope this chili warms you as it did me!
- 20 oz ground turkey breast
- 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt (or salt sub)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added), drained halfway
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded (optional)
- Green Onions, sliced (optional)
- Brown ground turkey, draining off excess fat.
- Add all ingredients (except quinoa) to crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Stir in quinoa.
- Cook for an additional 3 hours.
- To serve, top with cheddar cheese and green onions (optional)
- Calories: 225, Protein: 19 g, Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugar: 6 g, Sodium: 560 mg, Saturated Fat: 2 g