Happy New Year everyone!
I don’t know about you, but to me, this holiday season flew by in the blink of an eye! Hard to believe we are already a week and a half in to 2017. JP (the husband) and I started 2017 freezing in a tent, but had a ton of fun. Not your typical New Year’s Eve!
We spent the weekend at Little Talbot Island, which is a great state park here in Florida. Picture this: beautiful, empty beach 🌊 on the east side of the park, natural Florida woods (oaks, pines, and palms 🌴) with an intercostal creek on the west side of the park. We spent a lot of time huddled by the fire and eating your typical camping foods, reading books, using his new awesome telescope to look at stars, and taking long walks on the beach. 😊
When we arrived home on Sunday, I was ready for some warm and comforting food. I also, however, had OD’ed on snacks, wine, candy and heavy food for the last week and a half over the holidays. This Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup was the perfect solution. I wasn’t quite ready for salad, but needed something on the lighter side and filled with veggies. Really, my favorite part about this soup is that you can keep it fairly light, or you can make it as indulgent as you want with fun toppings like avocado, cheese, sour cream and tons of extra tortilla strips!
This soup is perfect to make on a Sunday. You can pretty much forget about it (except for one little step 4 hours in), and it makes tons. You’ll have leftovers for lunch or dinner for the next day or two!
Wishing everyone a wonderful 2017!
- 2, 14.5 oz cans diced tomatos (no salt added)
- 4.5 oz can mild chopped green chilis
- 15.25 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 lb chicken breast
- 46.5 oz (5.5 cups) chicken broth (low sodium)
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Combine all items for soup (except broth) in crock pot. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken and replace in crock pot. Pour in broth. Cook for 2 more hours on low.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- While soup is cooking, cut tortillas into 16 strips each by making 1 cut across and 3 cuts going the other direction.
- Lay tortilla strips on baking sheet.
- Combine oil and seasoning and brush onto strips.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve soup by topping with tortilla strips and your other favorite toppings- cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, lime wedges, etc!
- Calories: 172, Protein: 25 g, Fat: 3 g, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 2 g, Sodium: 725 mg, Saturated Fat: less than .5 g
- Calories: 38, Protein: 1 g, Fat: 2 g, Carbohydrates: 5 g, Fiber: less than 1 g, Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 29 mg, Saturated Fat: less than 1 g