I know what you are thinking…Curry Chicken Salad?? Didn’t you just post Turkey Burgers with Curry Mayo not too long ago?? Yep, sure did…and guess what folks? This will not be the last time you see curry, because well, it’s one of those spices that never gets a break in my house.
Something tastes bland, add curry powder! I’m not sure what to make tonight, how about some simple chicken curry!? The list just goes on and on. And I totally understand that it’s not for some people, but hey, life would be boring if we all loved the same things right? 😉
Do you ever just have one of those weeks?? You know what I mean…a week where just nothing feels right, everything is a little off, the motivation to cook is lacking, and you just can’t pinpoint the real reasoning behind why you feel like this?
That totally happened to me last week and I felt like it was a constant struggle to come up with quick lunch ideas for the workweek that would make me excited and with enough variety that I’m not so bored thinking of my lunch that I’m tempted to go out and grab something else.
So this, my friends, is where my rotisserie chicken weakness comes in.
You may notice this isn’t the first time we have used one in our recipes…hint hint, remember our Chicken Pot Pie?? And well, sometimes it’s just a quicker option, and there’s definitely nothing wrong with that. This Curry Chicken Salad recipe is a great a example of how one recipe can be enjoyed in multiple ways and better yet, are all super tasty and fast to pull together!
The only part that really takes any time is picking apart the chicken and chopping it. If a real chef were to witness me trying to take apart a rotisserie chicken they would probably be crying inside and be asking “whyyy does it look like she just destroyed that chicken???” I kind of make a mess, but you know what, between pulling off an eating little bites and accidentally dropping a piece on the floor for the pup, you betcha I don’t let a single little piece of meat go to waste 😉
This recipe works better if you use cold rotisserie chicken, so then you don’t have to wait as long to indulge after it makes it to the fridge. Also keep in mind that when it’s cold, it tends to dry it out a little bit more so then you can tell the real texture of the mixture. This is much better instead of having to come back and add in more liquid because you used the warm chicken and once it all cooled, it got dried out.
But either way, I’ve made it with hot and cool chicken, and they both work fine….just FYI.
My three favorite ways (okay there are four but I only made three) to enjoy this curry chicken salad are:
- On a salad with mixed greens
- As a sandwich
- In a wrap.
My super quick fourth favorite way would be to eat it with multigrain crackers. The saltiness on the crackers gives it just the right touch 🙂
Then of course there is always the, ‘let me just eat this right outta the bowl’ method too which I may have done….oooh more than once. I mean, you have to taste-test, right!?
With that being said, hope you enjoy and let us know what your favorite way is to enjoy your curry chicken salad. 🙂
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, skin removed, cubed small (chilled, 1/2 white, 1/2 dark meat)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup red grapes, cut in half and half
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp lime juice (or water)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined well.
- For best results, refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before serving (I like to make the night before and refrigerate overnight).
- Serve as a sandwich, wrap, or on a salad!
- After some time in the fridge, if the mixture is too dry for your taste, add in another tsp lime juice or water.
- For a creamier chicken salad, add in another tbsp of mayo.
- Use low fat mayo to reduce the calories by 15%.
- Calories: 214, Protein: 17 g, Fat: 14 g, Carbohydrates: 4 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 3 g, Sodium: 133 mg, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g