These dream bars are a soft and chewy, coconut cookie bar guaranteed to be a hit with friends and family!
Happy holidays all! Can you believe we are less than a week from Christmas? And a little less than two weeks from 2018!? I’m honestly not sure where 2017 has gone- this year has been a blur!
What I can remember is the fun we had two weeks ago at my annual Holiday Potluck! We bought our house about nine years ago, and this has been a tradition ever since. We always plan it sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas so that we can enjoy both holidays with our Jacksonville family of friends. We enjoy Thanksgiving style food- complete with competing deep fried and smoked turkeys, and Christmas music and decor. We also usually have a pretty high stakes white elephant gift exchange. Funny enough, Lauren and I ended up with each other’s gifts this year! 🎁
Though my main focus was helping my husband with smoking the turkey and preparing a green bean casserole, I figured I’d also make a dessert for people to enjoy throughout the evening. I went with Dream Bars for a few reasons- they are super easy to make, only have a few ingredients, and are one of my childhood favorites. Something about Dream Bars, though not necessarily a Christmas cookie, always invokes the warm feeling of the holidays for me.
Now full disclosure here, Dream Bars are not an Ease and Carrots original. We’ve decided to introduce a new category, “Family Favorites.” This will allow us to share some of our favorite recipes we grew up with and love to make to this day. I couldn’t tell you where the original recipe came from (and neither could my mom for that matter). My mom has been making them for years, and it was always one of the many cookies we made around the holidays. 🍪🍪
Don’t be intimidated by the two step process of making these. While the crust is baking, take a few minutes to mix up the topping. Though I prefer pecans ever so slightly, either pecans or walnuts will work. If you’re a chocolate lover, go ahead and melt some dark chocolate chips and drizzle over the bars after they’ve come out of the oven.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! And don’t forget to check out our tasty snowball cookies that are also always a hit around this time of year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! 🎄☺️
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- Pan Spray
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup flaked coconut (sweetened)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift and measure flour into medium sized bowl.
- Add butter and sugar and mix into a crumbly mixture.
- Lightly spray 11x16 pan with cooking spray. Pat into pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a medium sized bowl.
- Add sugar and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) and sift over coconut and nuts. Add to sugar and egg mixture.
- Mix well and spread over crust.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares.
- If you don't have an 11x16 pan, a slightly smaller pan will work as well. You may just need to add an extra minute or two of cook time.
- You can easily cut these into 48 if you are serving a large crowd or like a smaller portion.
- Calories: 184, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 10 g, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 16 g, Sodium: 59 mg, Saturated Fat: 5 g