Today is definitely a Monday. Started my day by not being able to find my keys, had a long day of meetings at work, got rained on, and realized the coffee beans I purchased yesterday never made it out of the grocery store. The beautiful thing is, its pretty easy to turn things around with a quick trip to the gym, a delicious home cooked dinner, and a glass of wine (and maybe like 3 episodes of my new show on Netflix, Jane the Virgin! Lauren got me hooked on this one- thanks Lauren!!).
So it’s still about 98 million degrees here, but knowing that September is right around the corner, it feels like we’re soaking up the last days of summer. My husband and I recently visited Maryland for a long weekend to visit some friends. We spent a day doing the tourist thing in our nation’s capitol, spent a little time on the water, and ate a ton of delicious food! This is the second time we have visited, and have learned quickly that when near the bay in Maryland, one eats seafood! I returned home on a seafood kick, and this Fish Sandwich with Herbed Mayo was born!
Start with a white fish (we used tilapia), add a light breading, and dress it up with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and a delicious herbed mayo! We like an extra squeeze of lemon too.
Pour a glass of white wine, soak up the final days of summer, and enjoy!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp dill, dried
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp lemon juice, fresh (bottled is fine too)
- 1/2 tsp parsley, dried
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt, dash
- Black pepper, dash
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1-1.25 lb fresh tilapia
- Pan spray
- 12 pickle slices (hamburger chips)
- 4-8 lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- 4-8 red onion rings
- 4 hamburger buns
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Combine mayonnaise, dill, thyme, parsley, lemon juice, and black pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in shallow dish. Lightly scramble egg in a separate shallow dish. Place flour on separate plate.
- Coat fish filet with flour. Then dip into egg. Finally, press into panko bread mixture, coating lightly.
- Spray pan with pan spray (olive oil can also be used). Cook fish filets in pan over medium heat, about 6-8 minutes per side depending on thickness.
- Lightly toast hamburger buns if desired.
- Cut fish filets in half and assemble sandwiches using the herbed mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and about 4 oz fish per sandwich.
- Garnish with lemon wedge.
- Calories: 470, Protein: 29 g, Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrates: 63 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 8 g, Sodium: 785 mg, Saturated Fat: 2 g