Say cheese! Gouda & Pear Grilled Cheese, that is! This recipe was born out of a real need: a need for a super quick, but warm and satisfying autumn meal.
So big news over in my house- I recently accepted a new job! It’s an internal position with the company I am currently employed by, but still a ton of new stuff to learn. Between preparing for the interview, and now preparing to start in the new position, I have been spending a lot of extra hours working. Although I’m super excited to start, I know the hard work will continue for at least a few months while I get adjusted. Cereal for dinner only flies so often, so it was time to get creative.
I don’t think I’ve ever met a freak of nature that doesn’t enjoy the combination of sweet & salty flavors! 😜 This gouda and pear grilled cheese sandwich brings those two together in every tasty bite. The gouda brings the salty, the pear brings the sweet, and the ham brings a little bit of both! For the vegetarians out there, you can achieve the same concept and skip the ham.
So the best part about this grilled cheese sandwich is that pears have a pretty long season. They tend to arrive in grocery stores late in the summer and different varieties stick around through winter. So when your hungry guests show up for Thanksgiving, feed them a Gouda & Pear Grilled Cheese! 🍐 I used a Bartlett pear for this sandwich, but really most any variety would work. When you’re at the store, remember to head to the bakery department (or go to an actual bakery if you’re the super motivated type), and grab a hearty multigrain bread. Though any bread will work, fresh bakery bread will make it extra delicious. 😋
Time to sign off and study some more! Wish me luck everyone!
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 2 slices (1.5 oz) gouda cheese
- 1 oz honey ham, thinly sliced
- 1/3 small or 1/4 large pear, thinly sliced
- Dash cinnamon
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread (or melt in pan and mop up with bread).
- Layer 1 slice cheese, 1 oz ham, pear slices, dash cinnamon, and 1 more slice cheese between the 2 slices of bread.
- Place in saute or frying pan and heat over low to medium heat pressing down with spatula until heated through and golden brown on the outside. Flip and repeat until golden brown on both sides.
- Cut in half & serve warm.
- Calories: 408, Protein: 21 g, Fat: 19 g, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 8 g, Sodium: 880 mg, Saturated Fat: 10 g