Anyone else out there still feeling full from their Thanksgiving meal, or is that just me??
Although I just LOVE the holidays and all the great food and family time, I have to admit, it’s nice to get back on schedule. So now that we are back on track, I’m totally diving into some Chipotle Turkey Chili this week as well as this Harvest Spinach Salad!
I figured this spinach salad would be a great option to throw in the mix in between turkey leftovers every other night this week.
Speaking of this week…you know what’s happening this upcoming weekend?? Our annual holiday potluck with friends at Kate’s house! Every year we all get together and deep fry a turkey (yep, be jealous) and everyone brings a side dish and we sit by the fire and drink fun holiday drinks and just celebrate in between the two holidays with friends and delicious food. There aren’t many of us that have family that live in town, so its sort of like our friend-family getting together to have a good time. You know…Friendsgiving, Holiday Potluck, Holiday Palooza…or as the guys would call it “Lets drink and burn stuff!”
Then of course we have the white elephant gift exchange. Which, in my opinion is the best part, well, as long as people aren’t too nice. I mean, c’mon, it’s your one chance to be greedy and get away with it!
Another thing I love about having the holidays with friends is getting to see all the creative ways people make traditional holiday side dishes. That little twist of adding mushrooms into the green bean casserole, or adding cream cheese into the mashed potatoes just gives a whole different outlook on how creative you can be with the same food. Everyone has a different way of cooking and assembling the same side dish and the best part is that its great for the taste buds to try it differently! My job is to bring the Corn Casserole and homemade cranberry sauce this year.
Does anyone else have a garden with an abundance of lettuce and all other sorts of greens at the moment!? I know we do. Specifically spinach and arugula. Hence this Harvest Spinach Salad. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 We have so much we can’t even give it away anymore! This salad is great for lunch or dinner and it utilizes all things in season right now. Win Win!
What other creative ways do you like to enjoy your greens?
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2/3 cup shredded and/or chopped raw brussels sprouts
- 1/2 apple (I used Gala)
- 20 pecan halves (about 1 oz)
- 6 strips cooked bacon
- 1/2 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (or more to your liking)
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
- Separate onto two plates.
- Serve with warm honey mustard vinaigrette.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Optional: Heat for about 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
- I find that an easier way to make the vinaigrette is to add all ingredients to a mason jar, seal with lid, and shake till combined. This way you can also seal it up and store in the fridge without getting another bowl dirty 😉
- For a lower fat version of the salad, substitute turkey bacon for pork bacon, or just leave it out altogether!
- Calories: 390, Protein: 17 g, Fat: 24 g, Carbohydrates: 32 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugar: 22 g, Sodium: 870 mg, Saturated Fat: 5 g