My husband loves french fries (and all things potato). Really, who doesn’t? They’re the perfect compliment to almost all grilled items, including hamburgers, grilled chicken, BBQ, etc. I created this oven roasted red potatoes recipe in an effort to provide something as satisfying as a fry without all the unhealthy fat. We grill out at least once per weekend, so I had plenty of time to experiment with this one. I swear, these are BETTER than those better-than-fries potato recipes floating around out there on the world wide web.
This side is so easy, satisfying, and CHEAP. Red potatoes are very inexpensive for a large bag and have a relatively long shelf life, so it’s great to make a few weeks in a row!
- 6 small red potatoes (approximately 6 oz each)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme or Italian seasoning
- Salt (or salt substitute) & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes into approximately 3/4-1 inch pieces. Achieve this by cutting potato into 2-3 thick slices, and cutting each slice into 6 triangular shaped pieces.
- Place potatoes in gallon bag and shake with olive oil and seasoning(s).
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until almost completely golden brown.
- For true french fry fans, serve with ketchup!
- Variations: Season with rosemary
- Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 160, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 5 g, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 2 g, Sodium: 128 mg, Saturated Fat: Less than 1 g