Quick chicken curry, in only 30 minutes?! Yes please!
If you haven’t learned by now, I’m a huge curry lover. I’m also a huge quick meal lover. 😉 But I mean, who really isn’t these days?? So speaking of quick, and speaking of curry…I’m going to make this a short and sweet post about this delicious 30 minute quick chicken curry. Sound like a plan, Stan? 😁
This past weekend we made a lovely trip down to Vero Beach to visit my husband’s dad and stepmom, and although a great trip, I realize how exhausting it can be now with an almost seven month old (and just getting out of the normal day-to-day routine). I just needed another day to get things back in order and so I took off another day spur of the moment. The day included laundry (my goodness lots of laundry), grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking this quick chicken curry meal. The fact that I enjoyed this day SO much really shows me how much of an old lady I have become. 😳 Totally not embarrassed at all.
The thing that really takes the most time with this recipe is the prepping. The cutting of the chicken and onion, the measuring out of the spices….so save yourself some time and prep all of that the night before and you’ll thank yourself, and heck, we might even be able to call this super quick 20 minute chicken curry. 😉 Either way, this dish comes together great for a quick weeknight dinner and is great for lunch the next day. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand to create this dish – broccoli, cauliflower and red bell peppers are some of my other favorite veggies of choice for this recipe. Top all that curry wonderfulness with cilantro and serve over some jasmine rice and you have yourself a delicious dinner for the fam.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 tbsp oil (I use either coconut or canola)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips or cubes (chicken breast would be fine as well)
- 1 tsp green curry paste (optional but highly recommended!)
- 1-2 tsp minced ginger (depending on your liking)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water or more as needed
- 1 cup chopped or shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1, 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups raw spinach
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium.
- Add chicken and cook all the way through. Remove from pan.
- Turn down heat to medium low and using leftover oil in pan, add green curry paste, garlic, ginger, 1 tsp of the curry powder, cumin, turmeric and nutmeg. Sauté until fragrant about 1-2 minutes adding water as necessary so it doesn't burn and a thick paste forms.
- Add carrots and onions and cook until just softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Stir in coconut milk, the other tsp of curry powder, lemon juice and cilantro. Turn down to low.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until sauce begins to thicken, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and top with cilantro and serve over jasmine rice.
- Feel free to use a different protein for this dish - beef, pork, shrimp or leave out the meat all together and replace with chickpeas to make it vegetarian!
- To save some time, cut up the chicken the night before and store in an airtight container in the fridge. The same goes for the onion.
- Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 260, Protein: 23 g, Fat: 15 g, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 3 g, Sodium: 500 mg, Saturated Fat: 7 g