I know everyone says it, but work has been so busy lately! Getting ready for 125,000+ kids to go back to school is no joke. So, needless to say, my cooking creativity has not exactly been at its peak. The good news is, things will be calming down soon 🙂 Though back to school for me means that things actually calm down a little, I know for many it means the exact opposite. Enter quick meals!
Quick, huh? I know what you’re thinking. Sometimes “quick” can be used a little creatively, but I promise these Quick Chicken Quesadillas are.
Here’s how I know: this recipe was born at 9 pm after a pilates class, after coming home to a very hungry husband who was working late. I wasn’t even planning on making anything, so I had to forage the kitchen to come up with it. I was done by 9:20.
Though I’m getting much better, I’m not always the best about using leftovers. It’s really easy to have more waste than you should when cooking for two. This recipe utilized only leftovers! Though I have ingredients and measures laid out below, I promise, even if you stray, these will be pretty hard to mess up. If its not scraps of rotisserie chicken you have left over, no problem! Use leftover ground beef, grilled chicken, or even black beans.
While the quesadillas are cooking up, take a few minutes to search the produce drawers of your fridge. Any limes? Cilantro? Avocado or guac? Sour cream? Shredded lettuce? Top with whatever you have. When I made mine, I had none of the above and they were still super tasty 🙂
- 8, 6 inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup Colby-Jack cheese
- 4 oz rotisserie chicken, shredded with skin removed
- 1/4 cup salsa, prepared
- Pinch of cumin or other spices (optional)
- Pan spray
- Combine chicken, Colby-Jack cheese and salsa in a bowl.
- Place a pan on the stove over low to medium heat. Spray with pan spray.
- Lay tortillas on preparation surface. Place 3 tbsp mixture on one half of each tortilla.
- Fold tortilla over into half moon shape and lightly press to flatten. Place quesadilla in pan and cook until lightly golden brown. Flip and allow other side to become lightly golden brown.
- Remove quesadillas from pan. Cut into 2 small triangles and serve!
- You can generally fit 2-3 quesadillas in your pan at a time, depending on the size.
- Spices are totally optional for the mixture, but favorites tend to be cumin, chili powder and garlic powder!
- Calories: 330, Protein: 20 g, Fat: 14 g, Carbohydrates: 36 g, Fiber: .5 g, Sugar: 3 g, Sodium: 885 mg, Saturated Fat: 7 g