Sausage and Kale Quiche – can you just check out this beauty!? Let me just say that it tastes as good as it looks too 😉
I feel like quiche is totally making a comeback. Not for me though. I’ve grown up with quiche, and not just for brunch, but for any meal of the day.
We totally realized that we’ve done a handful of egg recipes lately, but really, can you blame us?! Eggs are awesome. I mean, whether its Egg & Cheddar Breakfast Bake for breakfast, Avocado, Egg & Tomato Toast for lunch, Deviled Eggs for an appetizer or this Sausage & Kale Quiche for dinner! You just can’t go wrong.
I think I eat eggs 6 out of 7 days a week. Not to mention, if you follow us on social media, you’ll know that I’m expecting later this year, so I’m pretty much trying to eat eggs every morning as a good protein breakfast. Then of course there have been plenty of those “I’m not cooking nights” that have turned into breakfast for dinner (my absolute FAV by the way) which involves eggs again. So, if you haven’t gotten the point – huge egg fan here.
So, I’ve always used Pillsbury’s refrigerated pie crust (they come in packs of 2) just because its quick and buttery delicious for a store-bought crust. Plus, you’ll have an extra to make another or freeze for later use! So once you have it rolled out in your (ungreased) pie dish, you’ll need to take a fork and poke holes all over. This allows it to breathe as you pre-cook it.
I’ve used a couple different types of sausage when making this quiche, but my favorite is Aidells Portobello & Swiss Cheese Sausage. The flavor from the mushrooms in the sausage is just about close to perfection. 👌🏽 But feel free to use uncooked sausage as well, just make sure to cook it and drain the grease before adding it to the mixture.
I can also say that I have used the base of this recipe for many types of quiche. I’ve substituted the sausage and kale and used ham and broccoli before, or you could just use veggies and make it vegetarian – so really you could just be all sorts of creative.
Let us know what combination you come up with!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (I always use Pillsbury)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/2 lb cooked sausage links, cut into small chunks or broken into pieces (My favorite is Aidells Portobello & Swiss Cheese Sausage)
- 2 cups kale, broken into pieces (you can use less if this looks like too much)
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out dough into pie dish pushing down the bottom and around all edges. Feel free to shape the edges how you please.
- Using a fork, poke the bottom of the and sides a few times.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick pulls out of the center clean.
- Let sit 15-20 minutes before serving.
- When reheating a piece of quiche the next day, it comes out so much better if you bake it on a lower heat setting around 300 degrees - that way the crust stays nice and crispy!
- Calories: 265, Protein: 12 g, Fat: 16 g, Carbohydrates: 18 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 1 g, Sodium: 504 mg, Saturated Fat: 6 g