This weekend had many highs and lows. My husband JP and I had been looking forward to a weekend camping trip for a quite a while. We set up our tent the night before departure to clean it out and make sure we had all the parts (it hadn’t been down from the attic in about 2 years so that was a lovely ordeal). We packed our clothes, supplies, and bikes in the truck the next morning. We went to the grocery store, loaded up with drinks, food, firewood, and ice. We were finally on our way! Or so we thought….
About 30 minutes into the drive (we were stuck in a good bit of traffic), the skies opened up! We stayed optimistic for a few minutes. “It’ll pass”, we said. Finally, about 20 minutes later, we decided to pull into a gas station under a roof. Upon inspecting the forecast, the amount of rain we were expected to get had increased greatly. Feeling, defeated, we turned around and went home. After unloading all of our soggy, soggy supplies, I was ready to curl up and sulk.
JP wouldn’t let me sulk for long. We agreed to have a good weekend anyway. So that evening, I took the time to make a good meal. And that meal included our whole grain cornbread. I’m not a huge fan of traditional southern fare, but its hard to pass up freshly baked cornbread. Especially this better-for-you whole grain cornbread that packs in a little extra fiber using whole wheat flour and corn kernels.
This cornbread is versatile and pairs well with plenty of things, but it pairs especially well with the spicy, smokey flavor of our chipotle turkey chili…
Or you know, just smothered in butter in honey 😉
We also caught someone else who was trying to enjoy our cornbread. Boy was he close. Sorry Charlie, we don’t need another taste-tester this time…
PS- Once the rain cleared, the weekend turned beautiful! We got to go on a long bike ride, and got to the beach for a walk and a tasty lunch 🙂 Not so bad after all…
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup no salt added canned corn, drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a wire whisk, beat milk, butter, and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients all at once. Stir until flour and cornmeal is just moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 28 to 33 minutes or until golden brown. Use a toothpick to determine if cooked throughout- insert the toothpick into the middle of the bread. The toothpick will come out clean when bread is done.
- Allow to cool slightly. Cut into 10 slices to serve.
- To use an 8x8 baking pan, make sure the pan is greased and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Can replace 1/4 cup honey with 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 195, Protein: 4.5 g, Fat: 6 g, Carbohydrates: 32 g, Fiber: 2.5 g, Sugar: 9 g, Sodium: 144 mg, Saturated Fat: 3 g